
Guess what!? We got a new friend this weekend. I thought I would be more excited about it then anyone else in the family, but Carter is definitely competing for the position. We got a new cockatiel bird. It is a male and a member of the parrot family. He is only 4 1/2 months old and was only weaned about two weeks ago. We haven't decided on a name yet, but we are thinking maybe spike or pokey. However, I think spike sounds a little vicious, but I haven't come up with anything better. So, if you have any great suggestions, let me know. He is really very quiet for a bird and only chirps occasionally. Since he is a male he does have a good potential to talk if you work with him so hopefully we can get him to say some cute phrases. He was really scared when we first got him but is doing MUCH better now! He will go to Reed and I now without any complaint, but still does not like Carter. Carter LOVES him though and always goes up to his cage and talks to him...oh..and of course hits the cage which is probably why the bird is terrified of him. The bird has let Carter hold him a couple times, but never for very long. It's also pretty fun because he eats fruits and vegetables out of the palm of your hand and rides on your shoulder. We just love him! (Or at least Carter and I do...Reed would never admit to it...but he likes him too). He will get a little bigger, but not huge which is good.
5 comments:
That sounds pretty fun! Sterling bothered me about getting a bird before we were ever married. I am pretty much against it but it seems that you found the perfect type of bird to get. I don't really have suggestions on names but I will let you know if I think of one.
Your bird is beautiful, or should I say handsome. He looks like he is wearing a crown not a spike. How about something like, crown, or prince, or King, or something along those lines? Or Prince Caspian. I don't know, you should name him what you want. I think he is adorable and I can't wait to see him. I love you. If anyone can teach him to talk, it will be you. Love you, MOM
cute! I finally looked aren't you proud of me? I had to come over to aunt effie's to do it!
Cute bird Sharalyn! Hope you have fun teaching him to talk! Love and miss you all. Thank you for the adorable pictures. We love them.
make sure you visit the vet and pick up some quik stop. its a yellow powder you put on there toe nails when they bleed from cutting them to short. Also used on blood feathers that break to stop them from bleeding. It doenst take much blood loss for a cockatiel to die. Spike is an awesome name. That was my cockatiels name. He lived 14 years. They wont speak sentences but can say 2-3 word phrases. Pretty bird seems to be the easiest to teach. My two newest cockatiels Spanky and Jessica. We wont get into the males name. Jessica doesnt say anything being a female but Spanky says "Pretty Bird" "Pretty Pretty Bird" "Opy" "Be nice" and now mimics my fire departmet pager and the birds outside. Congrats on the bird they are awesome.
Post a Comment